Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tableau Vivants Bring Me Joie de Vivre

I love tableau vivants, people dressing up as paintings. I love trying to replicate the details of a well-known piece of art. That's why I am so excited about this music video, from a band called Hold Your Horses! The song is called "70 Million." It includes homages to Jacques-Louis David, René Magritte, & Sandro Botticelli, among others.



70 Million by Hold Your Horses ! from L'Ogre on Vimeo.
(Found via http://www.bestweekever.tv/2010-03-05/music-video-recreates-famous-paintings-my-art-history-degree-finally-worth-something/)


Here are some of my past photograph & painting recreations.


Man Ray, Le Violon d'Ingres (Ingres' Violin), 1924.


Andrew Wyeth, Christina's World, 1948.

 Songs:

Man Ray - The Futureheads (Lala Pop-Up)

Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine - Brian Wilson (YouTube)

Venus - Shocking Blue (YouTube)

Rene And Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After The War - Paul Simon (Spike.com, slightly NSFW)

How I Taught Myself To Scream - Los Campesinos! (YouTube)

Andy Warhol - David Bowie (YouTube)

2 comments:

  1. Oh that was awesome! I especially liked the one of that weird painting with the two sisters in the tub, and one is tweaking the other's nipple. I remember seeing that painting and thinking, what the hell? And so it made me smile to see it included here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, I found a list of all of the paintings! http://flavorwire.com/74342/hold-your-horses-name-that-painting &
    http://rtfm.es/2010/03/05/de-viaje-por-la-historia-del-arte-con-hold-your-horses/

    ReplyDelete